The Arbutus Law Group LLP team recognizes that COVID-19 is rapidly changing the reality faced by Indigenous communities across the country.
We would like to extend our thanks to all those who are on the front lines of this public health emergency and those who are working tirelessly to keep their communities safe.
These are scary times and remote, closely-knit communities can face heightened threats from this pandemic and its variants.
We are here to help. We remain open and ready to respond to your COVID-19 legal questions, including:
- restricting entry onto reserve lands;
- declaring a State of Emergency and issuing emergency orders, including:
- physical distancing measures,
- restricted access to services, and
- changes to Council meeting procedures to allow for remote participation;
- implications on budgets and timelines, and modifications to existing requirements under Financial Administration Laws;
- changes to budgets and deadlines under property taxation laws, and options for providing relief to taxpayers;
- accessing new federal funding opportunities, such as:
- for First Nations, Métis and Inuit communities and organizations, through the Indigenous Community Support Fund,
- for individuals or businesses though the Economic Response Plan, and
- for delivery of services to off-reserve and urban populations;
- employment-related matters such as employee safety measures, layoffs, terminations, and reduced hours;
- contracting for emergency services; and
- managing existing contracts, programs and governance processes in this time of upheaval
We cannot know all of the ways that COVID-19 will continue to disrupt your lands, communities, families and workplaces. But if there is some way we can help to alleviate some of the uncertainty or stress, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
We have gathered a list of resources and links that may be helpful to you and we will update it regularly.
Donate to UNICEF Canada to deliver vaccines efficiently and equitably to reach those who are still waiting in over 190 countries
Assembly of First Nations: News on COVID-19 Pandemic
BC Centre for Disease Control Covid-19 Employers-Businesses
Federal Government Support for Businesses:
Additional Support for Businesses from the Economic Impact of COVID-19
COVID-19 wage and hiring support for businesses
Federal Government Support for Industries
First Nation Health Authority (British Columbia): Covid-19 information
First Nations Leadership Council Resources Document
Métis Nation: Covid-19 information
Métis Nation of Alberta: COVID-19 Family Wellness Plan
Indigenous Community Support Fund
Indigenous Services Canada: Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Indigenous communities
British Columbia Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation: First Nations, Emergency Program Act orders for COVID-19 response
British Columbia COVID Resources
Saskatchewan: Covid-19 Resources
Manitoba Indigenous and Northern Relations: Covid-19 Resources
Ontario: Action Plan Responding to Covid-19 (including funding for Indigenous communities)
FNHA Virtual Doctor of the Day
WorkSafeBC Guidelines for Workers Compensation Act
WorkSafeBC Covid19 Prevention and PHO