The Arbutus Law Group LLP team recognizes that COVID-19 is rapidly changing the reality faced by Indigenous communities across the country.
We would like to extend our thanks to all those who are on the front lines of this public health emergency and those who are working tirelessly to keep their communities safe.
These are scary times and remote, closely-knit communities can face heightened threats from this pandemic and its variants.
We are here to help. We remain open and ready to respond to your COVID-19 legal questions, including:
- restricting entry onto reserve lands;
- declaring a State of Emergency and issuing emergency orders, including:
- physical distancing measures,
- restricted access to services, and
- changes to Council meeting procedures to allow for remote participation;
- implications on budgets and timelines, and modifications to existing requirements under Financial Administration Laws;
- changes to budgets and deadlines under property taxation laws, and options for providing relief to taxpayers;
- accessing new federal funding opportunities, such as:
- for First Nations, Métis and Inuit communities and organizations, through the Indigenous Community Support Fund,
- for individuals or businesses though the Economic Response Plan, and
- for delivery of services to off-reserve and urban populations;
- employment-related matters such as employee safety measures, layoffs, terminations, and reduced hours;
- contracting for emergency services; and
- managing existing contracts, programs and governance processes in this time of upheaval
We cannot know all of the ways that COVID-19 will continue to disrupt your lands, communities, families and workplaces. But if there is some way we can help to alleviate some of the uncertainty or stress, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
We have gathered a list of resources and links that may be helpful to you and we will update it regularly.
Federal Government Support for Businesses:
Financial Support for Businesses
Additional Support for Businesses from the Economic Impact of COVID-19
COVID-19 wage and hiring support for businesses